Lesson Plan: Primary & Secondary Colours

[Please find my .doc lesson plan by clicking here]

When I submitted this lesson plan I had not completed this activity myself.  So I was in essence working blindly.  Having now completed this activity and taking into consideration some of the critiques from Michelle (our Prof.), I realized that this lesson really didn’t encourage much creativity.  It was really prescribed.  For the future I will definitely rework it to allow for more creativity.

By not doing this activity when I made the lesson plan I did learn something; that it’s very important to complete it for myself before doing it with children.  There were points that I had not thought of when I was working through this.  There were questions that were popping up that I would not want to have to answer on the spot in front of students.

My overall opinion of this lesson now, has actually taken a step down in my books as a) it didn’t encourage creativity and b) it’s really hard to get the right see through material that gives a very prominent mixed colour, for instance, the yellow that I used was very vivid and didn’t mix well with the darker colours to produce a pronounced secondary colour.  This was the reason that I changed from using tissue paper to layer and create secondary colours, to felt.  Students will be able to use their colour mixer to get a rough colour match, then use the felt as seen in the picture.

The following two pictures: 1) My stencil for the colour mixer cutout & 2) My assessment rubric completed by my Michelle.