Monday January 16th 2012

Today we all had on our minds “SNOW”.  That’s right, Victoria’s infamous snow frenzy was beginning to take off.  Anyways,  that has very little to do with the purpose to why I am writing here?  Or does it?  Something to ponder.

On the chalkboard today was listed our daily routine.  Usually this is presented on the projection screen with PowerPoint slides.

Today’s List:

Warm-ups:

1-Step up to the line

2-Fruit Basket

3-Invisible Ball

4-Presents from Heaven

Houskeeping:

-Lakewood visit:  This visit will count as “time in lieu”, therefore we will only have one on-campus class that week.

-We were given two handouts:  Individual Assignment: Preliminary Lesson Plan due FEB 9 2012; Story Drama Lesson Plan : Group work

-We spoke about the Journal structure and assessment of.  I think people are thinking WAY too  much into some of the things we are asked, overcomplicating things for themselves.

Notes/Insights/Thoughts:

1-Step up to the line:  A roll of masking tape was used to divide the classroom floor into two.  Half of the class on one side of the tape and the other half on the other side, facing each other.  Both lines are to take two steps back from the line.  Anyone, or assign a question asker, asks a question such as “step up to the line if you own a CAT”

I really enjoyed this activity as it presents a fun way for not only the students to learn about each other but also for us as teachers, best of all it can be completely student driven.

2-Fruit Basket: Uh oh.  This is one of those activities that I cannot really remember all that well and have to use my notes for.  Hmmmm I wonder what that means? Right:  We chose the Theme of Hockey Teams.  Four NHL Hockey teams were suggested:  Canucks, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Penguins.  We were assigned to one of four teams.  There Person in the middle of the circle (the shape we usually are sitting in) decides to give the following commands at their choice:  Two of the hockey teams names, or NHL meaning ALL teams.  If the team we were assigned to is called out we are to get up and find another seat that is not with the area of our old seat.  Should NHL be called EVERYONE gets up and finds another seat.  This works as long as there is ONE less seat than student in play.

Come to think of it I’m not sure why exactly I couldn’t recall this activity.  I did like it so I can’t say anything like that.  I know, It’s the name.  May be I have the name of this activity incorrect.  The name “Fruit Basket” and NHL hockey teams, I can see the disconnect.

3-Invisible Ball:

I found myself during this activity devising a method of remembering who’s name was called last as I still have a bit of trouble from time to time with some of the girls names.  Anyways,  we were to pretend we had a small ball in the palm our hand.  We were to put this ball up to our mouth and blow it to another classmate, however, just before we blow the ball we are to call out the name of the classmate we wish to send the ball to.  We started off with one ball first and gradually added more as we became more comfortable.  We made it up to five Invisible balls.  This would be the absolute max of balls we could use for younger children.  I found this fun for only a short period of time.

4-Presents from Heaven:

As we MILL around the room we are suddenly delivered from “heaven” (an imaginary gift that falls from above into our hands) into our hands.  We stop, open it and begin to play with it, or do whatever the contents of the package make you do.  This is continued a few times and we then share with the class (quickly) what it was we got.

5-Gift Games: I always wondered how I put to use a Jester hat and today I found out how.  For this game.  A King or Queen is picked and sits in their Throan at the head of the circle, placing their reining headgear.  We as the peasants offer a gift in hopes of being asked to be a personal assistant.  Our gift is either accepted or denied.  Should our gift be denied we leave returning to the circle but remembering as we do so, to NEVER turn our back on the King/Queen.  Should our gift be accepted, we replace the current personal assistant.

Now, how do we give gifts that we know the King/Queen likes?  We use our knowledge of our classmates in real life and the things they like and we try to come up with something that appeals to them.

Another gift game, has us in A B partners.  Partner A decides shape, size and weight of a present.  We then are to give this imaginary box to partner B who will in turn open the box and give their reaction to what they think it is.  Again  we share what was given to us with the class.  This is repeated, however, with B partner starting.

Today’s class was a bit different in that we watched a video.